RESERVING YOUR WEDDING DATE
he Catholic Church has established a number of basic requirements for the celebration of the Sacrament of Marriage. In order to fulfill these requirements, the Diocese of Sacramento has adopted the policy that engaged couples desiring to be married in the Catholic Church must contact their parish priest at least six months prior to the anticipated wedding date. We strongly recommend that you contact the parish office to reserve the date of your wedding one year in advance and before you reserve a place for your reception.
WEDDING AND REHEARSAL TIMES
Weddings take place on most Saturdays between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm. They also may be celebrated on most Fridays between 4:00 pm and 6:00 pm. Weddings are not celebrated on Sundays at St. Anthony Parish. Usually, rehearsals take place on the evening before the wedding day between 4:30 pm and 6:30 pm.
For more information, please contact the Parish Office at 916-428-5678 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
REQUIREMENTS BY THE CATHOLIC CHURCH:
- FIRST of all: At least one (either the bride or groom) must be a Catholic.
- SECOND: The church can be reserved for weddings only by contacting the priests in the parish.
- DOCUMENTS AND CERTIFICATES NEEDED ARE THOSE INDICATED:
- Certificate of Baptism for marriage issued within 6 months of the wedding date
- Certificate of Baptism for baptized Non-Catholics
- First Communion and Confirmation certificates for Catholics
- Two Affidavits of Freedom to Marry
- Self-Testimony filled out in the presence of a priest of deacon
- A Marriage License from the State of California
- Proof of Annulment by the Church for any previous marriage
THE COUPLE IS ALSO ASKED TO PARTICIPATE IN ONE OF THE MARRIAGE PREPARATION PROGRAMS
- Engaged Couples Retreat
- A Parish Marriage Preparation Program
- Approved online course if the other options are not possible
THE NUPTIAL MASS OR MARRIAGE CEREMONY
- A Nuptial Mass takes approximately one hour for the wedding. The wedding ceremony without the Nuptial Mass takes about one half-hour. The Pastor will officiate. Visiting clergy are welcome.
- Any florist of your choice is satisfactory. Your flowers can be taken with you to the reception.
- The church sanctuary and bride’s room are to be left as you found them. Flowers or bows may be attached to the pews with rubber bands or special made attachments which will not harm our wooden pews but must be removed after the wedding.
- You may have your own organist or vocalist, but if one is recommended by the pastor, deacon or wedding coordinator they must be paid directly and in advance. The regular fee for the organist is $200 and the fee for the vocalist is $150.
- You need to contact the musicians. Please call the parish office for phone numbers of the vocalists/organist.
- Any photographer of your choice is permissible. Pictures may be taken during the ceremony - posed pictures during the ceremony or any action by the photographer that may interfere with the ceremony are to be avoided.
- The parish does not allow rice, birdseed, sparkle or rose petals to be used inside or outside of the church.
- If you use a Unity Candle; it must be placed on a small table and not on the altar. We have a Unity Candle available for your use or you may bring your own.
- There are seasons in the Church year when the church is specially decorated. These decorations MAY NOT be removed for the ceremony should your wedding occur during these times. (Christmas - December 25 to January 7; Lent and Easter).
- A license to marry must be obtained from the office of a County Clerk from any county in the State of California. A marriage license is valid for 90 days from the date of issuance. It must be presented to the priest before he can officiate at the service. (You may give the license to the priest or deacon as soon as you receive it). The best man and maid of honor should see the priest or deacon after the ceremony to sign the marriage license.